A Virtual Tour of Southwest American Desert Petroglyphs
.....Click on the Picture at the Right to Start the Tour.....
- Start of Tour Petroglyphs are mysterious artifacts of the American Southwest.
- Strange Figures These rocks have a long and mysterious history.
- Pit and Groove Petroglyphs pre-date Egyptian pyramids "Desert Varnish" is the primary method for dating petroglyphs.
- Great Basin Curvilinear are often associated with hunting areas. This example is etched into sandstone at Hickison Pass, Nevada.
- Wall of Petroglyphs located at Petroglyph Point at Lava Bed National Monument, California. Ancient Americans camped overlooking Tule Lake and distant sacred Mount Shasta.
- Petroglyph Example of Great Basin Curvilinear (ca 2-3000 yrs bp) at a site near Fallon Nevada. Abstract form defies analysis.
- Great Basin Curvilinear Petroglyph (ca 2-3000 yrs bp) near Fallon, Nevada. Circles and connecting lines in a balanced and aesthetic icon are characteristic of this style of petroglyph.
- More than just graffitti. This example of Great Basin Curvilinear (ca 2-3000 yrs bp) is etched in desert near Fallon Nevada. Circles and lines do not reveal much about the meaning or purpose of this petroglyph.
- Modern Petroglyphs often depict animals and people, as well as elaborate designs. These petroglyphs are less than 2000 years old.
- Regular Designs on a rock at Petroglyph National Monument, New Mexico are also characteristic of modern style petroglyphs.
- End of Tour at Atlatl Rock Valley of Fire, Nevada. A thought provoking array of modern style petroglyphs.
Links to Other Petroglyph Sites
E-mail Comments to Jim Powers
Many Thanks to Peter Markus of American Planet for his assistance in preparing these photographs.